Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To consider the Off-Street Parking Business
Plan and proposed street parking tariffs.
Option B - to change with
effect from 1 July 2022, the shopper tariff from £3 for up to
3 hours, £6 for 3-6 hours and £12 for more than 6
hours, to £3.60 for up to 3 hours, £7.20 for 3-6 hours
and £14.40 for more than 6 hours (Bedford Rd MSCP, Castle
MSCP, G Live, Millbrook, Tunsgate, York Rd MSCP)
To include an additional
transfer of £180,000 from the Car Parks Maintenance Reserve
within the final General Fund Budget Report to be presented to the
Council at the Budget Meeting on 9 February 2022 to cover the
revenue implications of the delayed implementation of the Shopper
3. Option D - to consolidate the tariff in the car parks charged by the hour from £1.30 and £1.50 per hour, and to change them to £1.80 per hour for the first 3 hours, and £2.30 per hour for subsequent hours (Bedford Surface, Bright Hill, Commercial Rd 2, High Street, Lawn Road (Saturday only), Leapale Road MSCP, Old Police Station, Millmead House (Saturday only), Portsmouth Rd (Saturday only), Robin Hood (Saturday only), St Joseph’s Church (Saturday only))
4. Option C - to change the evening charge from £1 (6pm-10pm Mon-Sat) to £1.50 (6pm-10pm Mon-Sun) (Bedford Rd MSCP, Bedford Surface, Bright Hill, Castle MSCP, Commercial Rd 2, G Live, High Street, Leapale Road MSCP, Millbrook, Old Police Station, Portsmouth Rd, Tunsgate and York Rd MSCP)
5. Option C - to change the Sunday charge from £1.50 for up to 3 and £2.50 for 3-6 hours, to £2.00 for up to 3 and £4.00 for 3-6 hours (Bedford Rd MSCP, Bedford Surface, Bright Hill, Castle MSCP, Commercial Rd 2, G Live, High Street, Lawn Road, Leapale Road MSCP, Millmead House, Millbrook, Old Police Station, Portsmouth Rd, Hood, St Joseph’s Church, Tunsgate and York Rd MSCP)
Car Park Specific Tariffs
6. Farnham Rd MSCP – change pre-7am rate from £0.90 per hour to £1.00 per hour, standard rate (7am-7pm) from £1.00 per hour to £1.10 per hour, and (7pm-7am) rate from £0.10 per hour to £0.20 per hour.
8. Shalford Park & Walnut Tree Close – change Monday to Friday tariff from £3.20 per day to £4.00 per day.
9. Ash Vale Railway Station - change Monday to Friday tariff from £1.00 per day to £1.50 per day.
Traffic Regulation Order
10. To formally advertise the amendment to the Traffic Regulation Order for the purpose of the following changes:
(a) To make the EVCP bays enforceable and available only to vehicles being charged.
(b) To replace the “Green Scheme” with a pay by phone solution that provides greater benefit for All Electric vehicle users in the pay and display car parks, equivalent to a tariff reduction of £0.20 per hour; and
(c) To make the necessary amendments, as and when required, to reflect the permanent closure of Commercial Road 2, Guildford Park and Old Police Station car parks, which are all due to close in 2022-23.
and if any representations are received, to authorise the Parking Lead, Head of Technical and Operational Services and Director of Service Delivery to consider these in consultation with the Lead Councillor for Environment.
11. To agree that an EV strategy be developed to define the Council’s role in this developing sector.
12. Noted the performance of Parking Services in 2020-21, as detailed in Appendix 2 of the report.
1. is an enabler to around £150-200m of retail activity within the local economy, as well as supporting a wide variety of other business needs (Systra Parking Study 2020),
2. pricing is the primary mechanism with which to modify user behaviour, and in line with the Council’s strategic aims, encourage more sustainable transportation modes, such as the Park and Ride, public transport, cycling and walking,
3. generates a significant surplus with which to maintain and improve the parking facilities, and more generally, support the Council’s budget.
Other options considered and rejected by the Executive:
A. No Change – provides no additional encouragement for visitors to consider sustainable transport alternatives and would not bring income back to 2019-20 levels, based on anticipated utilisation
Details of any conflict of interest declared by the Leader or lead councillors and any dispensation granted:
Report author: Andy Harkin
Publication date: 26/01/2022
Date of decision: 25/01/2022
Decided at meeting: 25/01/2022 - Executive
Effective from: 03/02/2022