Decision Maker: Executive
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To approve the Public Space Protection Order
(1) That the variation of the existing town centre Public Spaces Protection Order, as set in Appendices 1 and 2 to the report submitted to the Executive, including the extension of geographical area and variation in behaviours, be approved.
(2) That the proposed actions set out in Appendix 3 to the report, which aimed to address the outstanding actions raised during the review of the Public Spaces Protection Order, be approved.
(1) The Council had demonstrated that it had undertaken the statutory process to be satisfied on reasonable grounds that:
· activities had taken place that had a detrimental effect on the quality of life for those in the localities identified, or it was likely that activities would take place and that they would have a detrimental effect, and
· the effect or likely effect of those activities:
o was, or was likely to be, persistent or continuing in nature,
o was, or was likely to be, unreasonable, and
o justified the restrictions being imposed.
(2) The PSPO review highlighted behaviours that were not appropriate for inclusion in a PSPO and would be better addressed with other tools or existing powers.
(3) The PSPO review presented evidence of a lack of awareness of the existing PSPO and an absence of a robust enforcement policy to respond appropriately to breaches.
Other options considered and rejected by the Executive:
Details of any conflict of interest declared by the Leader or lead councillors and any dispensation granted:
Report author: Yasmine Makin
Publication date: 23/03/2022
Date of decision: 22/03/2022
Decided at meeting: 22/03/2022 - Executive
Effective from: 30/03/2022