Decision Maker: Executive
Decision status: Recommendations approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Decision approved by Executive on 26 October 2021:
(1) To agree the heads of terms, which include:
�. Refurbished new bus facility
�. Pedestrianisation of North Street.
�. Leapale Road widening.
�. New North Street / Leapale Road junction.
�. Landscaping and associated grant of long lease.
�. Grant of long lease to create a new area of public realm.
(2) To undertake further work to establish a clear understanding of the scope, extent and estimated costs of any public works and services included in the proposed development and, subject to obtaining this information, to consider options for procuring the delivery of any public works and services to ensure compliance with the Find a Tender rules and the Council's procurement policies.
(3) To authorise the Strategic Services Director to agree any minor variations to the heads of terms to address any specific points arising during the course of contractual negotiations with the Purchaser.
(4) To authorise the Strategic Services Director to negotiate and enter into all associated property/contractual documentation required in order to facilitate the sale of the North Street Development Site, subject to receiving final valuation advice from the Council's external advisors confirming that the transaction amounts to the best consideration reasonably obtainable.
(5) To establish a working group consisting of stakeholders, Councillors and officers to make recommendations to the Executive in respect of the design of the refurbished bus station (including the associated access and public realm improvements) and the proposed pedestrianisation of North Street.
(6) To develop and take forward a plan for engagement with market traders impacted by the development.
(7) To note the Council’s public sector equality duties under section 149(1) of the Equality Act 2010.
Decision required by Executive on 22 February 2022:
1. Approval of the working group’s recommendation for the design of the refurbished bus interchange.
2. Approval of the working Groups recommendation for the design of the pedestrianisation of North Street.
To authorise the Strategic Services Director, in consultation with the Lead Councillor for Regeneration:
1. To approve the detailed plans and specification for the refurbished bus interchange.
2. To approve the detailed plans and specification for the proposed pedestrianisation of North Street.
3. To approve temporary North Street Market arrangements to facilitate the implementation of the developer’s planning consent.
5. To seek approval to remove the existing taxi rank in North Street that is located outside the Marks and Spencer store and to make any necessary arrangements and complete any agreements as necessary to proceed with seeking such approval to facilitate the North Street Development and to follow all necessary statutory requirements when seeking such approval.
6. To approve any temporary parking changes that are required to facilitate temporary market and taxi rank arrangements.
To progress the scheme
Other options considered and rejected by the Executive:
To not approve the request for additional delegated authority which would result in a risk of the Council failing to meet its contractual obligations.
Details of any conflict of interest declared by the Leader or lead councillors and any dispensation granted:
Report author: Abi Lewis
Publication date: 24/06/2022
Date of decision: 23/06/2022
Decided at meeting: 23/06/2022 - Executive
Effective from: 02/07/2022